This week was our introduction to gum paste and fondant. Jill and I bought (to share), the student kit, prepackaged fondant and gum paste, and a fondant rolling-pin from the teacher, as that came to $71! The extra $90 in materials stated in the brochure has been met almost twice now. My final post will have an analysis of our extra costs.
I have worked with fondant before at Le Dolci, but not with gum paste. It is hard! We were kneading it almost continually the whole class to keep it supple. We also used a little with water to make a glue, so that the layers would stick together when dry. It was also new to me to use prepackaged and coloured fondant in order to add colour to the gum paste, instead of the food colouring.
Tonight we used the flower pattern maker to make tri-colour/levelled daisies and then we made pansies. I found the daisies were easy (roll, press, lay to dry) but the pansies I struggled with getting the edges to curl properly. I definitely hope to improve on what you see above. Also, our flowers are whimsical in their colours, as our fondant box came with neon orange, purple, yellow and neon pink.
All the flowers we are making from this class to the end, will be used in our final cake.