RSS Feed

Cake Decorating Class: Week 7

We continued this week making flowers, but this time with Royal Icing.  I was not sure if mine had turned out right because following the recipe exactly, it did not come together until I added 1 tablespoon more water.  As I forgot to give Jill the recipe (soooo sorry!), hers did not come together properly so we used mine, and yet again, we had too much. I really think they need to adjust their instruction books, we always go home with leftover icing.

The main flowers for this week were the apple blossom and the wild rose.  Ours were done in mauve as I forgot my red food colouring.  Our wild roses were not that great, and we were frustrated.  We misunderstood the 45 degree angle, thinking up, not to the side, so none of the flowers looked right.  Once we corrected, then it was much easier.

The wild rose was not too hard (now that we understood angles!), but we were both tired and a little grumpy so we only made the minimum.

Near the end of class we were finally taught the mum, but I think that it would work better in buttercream as the icing burst the seam in our bag because of the pressure to get enough out.  I overheard some other people having difficulties as well.  At the very end of class, we tried the rose, I could not quite get it and had no energy to want to try.   I will practice at home though.

Again, all these flowers will be used on our final cake in week 9.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: